Tuesday, 10 January 2012

Kindle Cover

I've finished the Kindle cover which was relatively easy, except for one hassle:  I grafted the bottom end with Kitchener stitch to make it look smooth and professional (I liked the way it looked on the hottie bottie cover I made) EXCEPT I misread the instructions and sewed it up with the RIGHT sides together, just as if one was sewing.  Oops.  It has to be done with the WRONG sides together!!  Much unpicking and swearing.  And unpicking Kitchener stitch is not the easiest in the world.  I ended up reknitting one row but in the end, it was worth it.  There's no real "pattern":  I used DK oddments, about 30 stitches.  I did a proper hem at the top which is simplicity itself:

HEM:  Cast on.  Knit 5 rows stocking stitch starting with a knit row.  Sixth row:  knit.  Then k/p/k/p/k the next five rows (i.e. stocking stitch).  That extra knit row is where you fold over the piece and forms the edge.  On the inside of the work, sew in the hem.  Nice, neat edge!

The flower pattern I found on a knitting calendar (!) and suit the cover as they are very small.  The roses I've knitted before (and other flowers) are all MUCH bigger and might have overwhelmed so small an item.  The leaf should have been bigger but I ran out of wool so had to finish it off rather quickly!  The heart button was free in a pack of six with the last issue of "Simply Knitting" (Feb).

Kindle Cover with roses
Back

Lined with pretty, matching cotton fabric to protect screen from woolly cover!

No comments:

Post a comment