I thought the Amy Butler's belle organic aran by Rowan blended it really well with the Gedifra Fiorista - and what a shame they aren't making that any more! The orange rib gives it a nice funky look. This is definitely a top to wear on dull days, of which we have had many.
RIB: This is the best attempt I've ever made at picking up stitches along the edge and knitting a rib. I have the book Purls of Wisdom to thank for that as I never really got it before. The neck rib was quite hard, though - I did the usual mistake of picking up too many stitches so it didn't lie flat and looked, well, ridiculous. Also, I didn't pick up the stitches that well and there were several holes. A second attempt and it's perfect. (Or perfect in my world of Bad Knitting anyway...)
WAIST RIB: I originally wanted the bottom edge to have no rib as I'm quite fond of those jumpers that curl up. I have one that does that and love it. However, the curl on this top hid the beautiful colours and just looked messy, so I thought, with a sinking heart, that I was going to have to add a rib to it. I first took the easy way: I picked up stitches and off I went. FAR too many stitches, I realised once again - the hem was going to stick out like a frill! So pulled it and started again. Was well away when I realised (many, many realisations with this creation) that though I'd picked up the stitches neatly, each one had made a hole. It just looked awful. There was only one thing for it - I was going to have to pull unpick the cast-on edge, pick up proper stitches and knit upsidedown. Has anyone ever unpicked a cast-on edge? Is there a special way to do it that isn't soul-destroying, that doesn't take years, that doesn't fray the wool?? The Gedifra, which is multi-stranded, was as frayed as my nerves before I was even halfway. I was virtually in tears before I'd reached the end of unpicking the back. I thought I'd made a terrible mistake and that it was all disastrous and that this bloody top was costing me a fortune, what with having to buy rather expensive Rowan to make up the shortfall, when it was supposed to be a sale knit.
SUCCESS: However, once I started knitting, it was obvious that my hard work had paid off. The stitches are all twisted on the first row and there seems to be an odd sort of dent but it's on the back, so less noticeable. I made sure I didn't make the same mistake on the front and it turned out beautifully. I'm also rather pleased that my mattress stitch has come on so well - it sewed up so cleanly that it almost looks as if there is no seam. Knitting in the round, ho ho!
(Once the heatwave breaks and I actually get a chance to wear this, I might be brave enough to post a picture of me wearing it!!)
|Back of sleeveless top|
|Slight dent above rib!|
|Please note beautifully cast-off edge - which makes the top slightly too tight! Grrr...yet another mistake but I'll live with it.|
|I love the way the stripes just ease their way into the solid colour in some magically natural way!|