Saturday, 11 August 2018

Bluebell dress for doll

Using the dress pattern I had, I knitted this dress with a frilled edging, a technique I've not used before.  I thought the end result made it look rather like a bluebell! 
The most difficult thing was accurately casting on the vast number of stitches!  However many stitches you need for the pattern, you have to start with FOUR TIMES the number!  So I needed 80 stitches for the dress, which meant I had to cast on 360 stitches!  That was a LOT of counting.  I used circular needles, needless to say!  
Once you've cast on your stitch number x 4, you knit the first row like this:
Row 1:  K2.  Lift first stitch over second and off the needle.  At the end, you have half the number of stitches.
Row 2:  P2tog.  At the end, you'll have the number of stitches you're meant to have for the pattern - and your frilly edge.
It's not difficult but it is laborious.  

Frilly edge


Complete dress



I also knitted (from the dress pattern) the matching jacket but wasn't hugely impressed with the result.  The arms don't fit very well.  But the wool I used was pretty:  King Cole Drifter for Baby DK.  
Either I need to find another jacket pattern or try and adapt this one.




No comments:

Post a comment